Friday, June 17, 2011

Missy and Wadi, Melanie and Marko

Missy and Wadi
Jazz, Sean Cheeseman, "Judas" (R3HAR Mix) by Lady Gaga
I liked the idea of them breaking out of the boxes.  Wadi does parkour, so I thought he would use the surfaces more than he did.  The second part was way more excited than the beginning.  Mary and Nigel both liked this routine a lot more than we did.  It was good, but this season is going to be about being exceptional, as evidenced by the next routine


Melanie and Marko
Contemporary, Travis Walls, "Turned to Stone" by Ingrid Michaelson
It's no secret that Melanie is my favorite.  There's just something about her that has grabbed me from the beginning.  She was so spectacular in this unbelievable piece that I almost wept.  Everything from her eyes to the tips of her fingers expresses the dance.  I felt that the silly greek statue costumes actually detracted from this performance.  There was no need for them.  The dance itself was all that was needed.  Marko was phenomenal too, but I was obsessed with Melanie.  It instantly rocketed up the charts to one of my favorite routines of all time.

There are so many amazing moments in this.... my favorite is at about 3:09 when she throws herself into the air with such abandon and yet such control...  another is at about 3:23 when takes a breath in, creating this tension.... I can't.  It's too gorgeous.  Clearly the judges agree, as all of them were on their feet.


Aside: Melanie, "I used to wear a helmet because I'm narcoleptic"?
And Marko is from Guam?  That's kind of random.

1 comment: